WVU Press is not currently accepting unsolicited proposals for fiction.
West Virginia University Press publishes literary short fiction, fiction, and creative nonfiction by both new and established writers. Historically, WVU Press has published literary fiction with a focus on Appalachian culture, and although this continues to be an important part of its mission, its scope now expands beyond this region as it seeks to publish original voices from across the globe. With this in mind, WVU Press is dedicated to publishing literature that deals with diverse aspects of all cultures and bears a strong sense of place.
We accept unsolicited proposals from authors of all backgrounds (previously published or not). In return, we ask that you familiarize yourself with our publishing list in order to determine if your manuscript is a good fit for WVU Press.
Please note that West Virginia University Press no longer publishes creative work under the Vandalia Press imprint. All creative work will be published under West Virginia University Press.
Proposal submissions that do not initially meet these guidelines will not be considered:
- At this time we are not accepting proposals for historical fiction, unsolicited poetry or memoir, children's fiction, and novellas. We do accept proposals for other genres, especially short story collections and novels. Creative nonfiction may be considered.
- Proposals should consist of the first two chapters of the work attached to an email as a Word document, with a cover letter and contact information in the body of the email.
- Proposals should follow these formating guidelines: 12pt Times New Roman font; double-spaced text; 1.25 inch margins (left and right) and 1 inch margins (top and bottom); numbered pages.
- In the subject line of your email, please include the following: last name, title of work, genre.
- Do not send a full manuscript unless it is requested by the editor.
We do our best to respond to submissions in a timely manner, but due to our staff size and the steady flow of proposal submissions, our review of your proposal may take up to nine months. If the fiction editor would like to read your full manuscript, you will be contacted. We cannot respond to letters, phone calls, or e-mails requesting proposal status. Proposals and manuscripts will not be returned to authors.